Erica is the Editor of Karma Tantric Magazine and expert in all things Tantra & Tantric Massage. She specialises in helping men, women and couples unleash their sexual potential through her tantra teachings. | Read More
All about Yoni massage: what it is, the benefits and techniques to try
First things first: the word Yoni comes from the Sanskrit word for female genitalia. A Yoni massage, therefore, is a sensitive and intimate form of sensual massage that focuses on honouring and nurturing this most sacred space.
Once seen as a taboo subject, Yoni massage therapy is a practice rooted in tantra and aims to promote relaxation, emotional healing, increased sexual energy, and heightened awareness of one’s body.
In this article, I’ll share with you exactly how to perform this vaginal massage, either on your partner or yourself. So follow my instructions in and discover my top tips to help you master this orgasmic vaginal massage technique for yourself.
Let’s get to it…
What is Yoni massage therapy
In the practice of tantra, a genuine yoni massage is the ritual of erotic connectivity between a man and a woman or two females, focusing on massaging the parts of the vagina known as the yoni area.
Traditionally, a yoni practitioner carefully massages the vulva and vagina whilst the receiver performs breathing exercises. The idea is that both mental and physical tensions are freed, helping heal past trauma, experience pleasure, and enjoy better orgasms.
While orgasm is not mandatory, it is usually a welcomed outcome for most women.
What are the benefits of Yoni massage?
There are so many benefits of Yoni massage, these can include:
- Supports mental healing – One simple benefit to Yoni massage is that it supports the mental healing process. If you associate negative emotions with your genitalia including shame and sexual trauma issues, learning how to touch and be touched in your Yoni area can release many of these emotional connections and reprogram them into a positive, pleasurable feeling.
- Improves sexual relationships – Yoni massage can help unlock a fear of intimacy and touch if that is what is holding you back. This type of massage can add excitement into your alone time with you partner and even improve trust and connection between you. Learning the pleasures of touch with another is a bonding experience that also supercharges your sexual confidence.
- Releases a higher energy – Yoni stimulatory techniques can help to achieve a greater connection with your mind, body and soul. It’s no surprise that Yoni massage is so closely linked to Tantra and the ancient methodology that goes along with it. By searching inside ourselves we can unlock our potential to connect on a much higher spiritual level with others.
- Promotes more intense orgasms – One of the best benefits, is the increase in the intensity of orgasm after regular Yoni Massages. This is probably a result of a combination of the above mentioned factors. After all, we are all very aware that it is the mind that allows us to achieve orgasm and the level at which we experience it.
How to give a tantric yoni massage
So, that’s the theory, but that’s not why you’re here.
The following steps provide a general guide on how to perform a Yoni massage session with a partner, or for our readers who are single, to induce insane amounts of pleasure upon yourself through solo massage.
There are of course many ways to manipulate and stimulate the Yoni area, however these techniques will certainly help you get started:
1. Creating the perfect environment
Tantra, at its core, is a holistic practice that is not always about tantric sex and orgasm – it’s about the journey. So before the actual yoni massage is performed and any intimate touching takes place, it’s important to create an accommodating atmosphere in order to prepare your mind and body to fully relax and let go of stress. You can do this by:
- Prepare your space – Find an area that is most suitable for your Yoni session, either on a bed, a sofa or even on the floor. The important thing is to have enough space to move freely and not to restrict yourself. Use cushions or pillows to prop yourself into the correct position ready for bliss.
- Prepare your items – Many ladies choose to perform a yoni massage with oil or cream, which not only provides a very pleasurable sensation but also serves to moisturise and replenish the skin at the same time. Be careful to use only hypo-allergenic items as you may be touching yourself internally. A good option is a homemade Yoni Oil or a high end paraben free massage oil.
- Set the room temperature – Turn on a heater if it’s too cold or let some fresh air in if it’s too stuffy and hot. You don’t want to have to pause your Yoni pleasure to adjust things to be more comfortable, after you have already begun.
- Create ambience with mood lighting and scent – Dim the lights a little or use a scented candle to tingle the senses and create a wonderful candle lighting effect. Remember, if using candles, to do so safely and never leave them unattended!.
- Play suitable music – Create either an energetically sexy or calm and relaxed atmosphere by listening to music during your massage. Music not only stimulates the mind but also provides natural rhythmic value when synchronising touch with the rhythm.
- Ensure complete privacy – You definitely don’t want to get interrupted by any guests, roommates or children so make sure you choose a quiet, private space. Putting your mobile phone on silent or aeroplane mode is also a very good idea.
- Prepare your mind – Traditional yoni massage is a spiritual practice so preparing your mind through meditative breathing exercises will improve your experience. Take 5 minutes before you begin to sit in your space, close your eyes and meditate a little. The aim of this is to cleanse your mind of any worries or stress before you start, so you can have a wonderfully peaceful experience without anxieties or other thoughts.
- Prepare your body – Feel your best by making sure you (and your partner if using one) are clean from a recent shower or bath. Ensure you are well moisturised and any fingernails are trimmed nicely to avoid any scratches or sharp sensations. Many people choose to use latex gloves if they have long fingernails.
2. Tantric breathing
Breathing is central to the art of tantra and authentic yoni massage. It can allow you to completely and freely let go of both mental and physical tension (down there). It can also allow you to better connect with yourself or your partner if you have one. This will enhance your yoni massage experience and allow you to take in all the spiritual and therapeutic benefits so it should not be overlooked.
The following yoni breathing technique is designed to draw blood into the vagina, thereby enriching your yoni massage. If with a partner, perform the breathwork techniques together in synchronisation.
- Start by sitting upright (facing each other if with a partner)
- Exhale very deeply concentrating the energy in the belly area
- Close the mouth then inhale softly through the nostrils
- Hold the breath for seven seconds
- Exhale completely for eight seconds through the mouth and lower abdomen
- Repeat this exercise three more times
3. Stimulate the stomach and awaken the breasts
Instead of heading straight to the vaginal area, as a way to warm-up, consider a full body tantric massage, or simply a gentle, focused massage of the upper body and breasts. Remember that a woman generally takes a little longer to become aroused than a man, so the aim is to build up arousal slowly. You also need to awaken your body energy and promote blood flow.
Massaging the naval and stomach area is a great way to start as that area has lots of nerve endings. Gently massage the belly with some oil, slowly caressing the chest area, rib cage, lower belly and between breasts. This whole area is often ignored when lovemaking but is very effective when igniting arousal.
When it’s clear that the body is beginning to heat up, now the breasts and nipples can receive more attention. However before actually touching the nipples, begin with gentle caresses of the breasts and then move onto playing with the areola. The body will start to respond to this so now the nipples can receive some love with very gentle pinches, teases and circling actions. It’s important to not overdo this and to alternate the strength of the touches.
Our top Yoni massage techniques
Now that the scene is set, the mind is prepared through breathing, and the body is aroused, you should be ready to receive a Yoni massage. Be mindful that penetration is not necessarily required. The focus is around the other areas of the vagina to increase the blood flow to the nerve endings, so try and be open minded to avoid going too far internally.
Below is a basic step-by-step guide on yoni massage techniques to get you started:
Circling the Yoni
Start by gently massaging around the clitoris, bringing clitoral stimulation to the area but not directly on it. Some females will have different thresholds of sensitivity here as this is where most of the nerve endings meet, hence why the body hides the tip of the clitoris with a small hood. Small circular movements using two or three fingers around the clitoris hood should be performed slowly with extra attention to ensuring the touch is slow and mindful.
It should be more of an exploratory style with varied circle sizes starting from large circles further away from the clitoris, moving into smaller circles as you progress. Try to imagine you are lightly pushing blood flow to the target clit area, which sometimes, but not always, can be visibly seen as it starts to engorge and swell.
One of the most overlooked areas of the yoni is the labia. These are the lips that mark the entrance to the internal vaginal area. Sometimes these will be externally evident however on many females they are almost completely concealed by the pelvis skin. These lips are also packed with a large amount of nerve endings which means they are a perfect area to stimulate for arousal.
Once located, rub your fingers around each lip, making sure to be mindful and touch each crevasse and contour slowly. You can try working on the outer areas first then move to the inner parts after. Take consideration not to let your fingers wander too far into the internal parts of the Yoni at this point.
The Push and Pull
Place one index finger on the left and one to the right of the clitoris hood. Use a push and pull technique to retract and reveal the tip, then conceal it again with your next movement. This is similar to how you would approach masturbation of the penis, with the clitoris head being the equivalent of the penis tip.
Apply only mild pressure to each side and again try to avoid hard pressure on the very top of the clitoris. Your speed should be very slow at first, slightly faster as you progress with alternating pressure to evoke stimulation and sensation. As you continue, you can attempt to alternately press each finger as you push and pull to enhance the clitoral massage.
The Big Finish
It’s important to note that orgasm is not the purpose of all Yoni massages, in fact, in some authentic tantric techniques, it is actually avoided. For those of you who would like to complete the Yoni session with an orgasm, which let’s face it, its most of us, you can proceed with the next step.
Start to consider the Yoni area as a whole now, with multiple areas to be stimulated in combination. Run your fingers from the very top of the vagina, over the clit with a little more pressure than before, then down around the lips and vaginal opening. Use a rhythmical touch to now proceed from the bottom up and repeat, adjusting pressure and speed based on the pleasure of the journey your partner is expressing.
Other Yoni massage considerations
If you would like to advance with two handed movements, use one hand to perform a clit massage stimulating it with your fingers. Your other hand should caress the vaginal lips and synchronise in a repetitive motion. If penetration is something your partner is happy to receive, then you can use your second hand to enter the vagina with your fingers with a ‘come here’ finger motion. Those of you who are familiar with the location of the female sacred spot (or g-spot) can use this opportunity to seek it and incorporate a g-spot massage.
Also, ensure you massage the skin around the vagina very gently and maintain circular movement in your touch. Be mindful when directly touching the clitoris if the hood is retracted. The exposed clitoris may not be ready for direct touch stimulation. Communication is key here.
Yoni Massage Infographic
To explain things a little easier, after all pictures speak a thousand words, We have published a yoni massage guide infographic below to help you understand yoni massage and to guide you through this truly amazing experience. Please share this infographic if you love it or if you know another who may benefit from understanding this tantric massage type better!
Copy the code below and paste it onto your website to embed this infographic:
Book a Yoni massage from a professional masseuse
Whether you’d like to learn more about Yoni massage techniques, either by yourself or as a couple, you should consider getting help from a professional yoni masseuse. Finding an independent Yoni massage therapist can be a bit hit and miss though so be careful when searching around.
To take the guesswork out of choosing a Yoni specialist, try contacting a tantric massage agency in London such as Karma Tantric. With a wealth of professionally trained female masseuses, based in luxury London locations, call them on 0746 898 3212 and book a Yoni Massage in London today.